In 1945, a small group of men sharing a passion for the beauty of roses came to be known
as the Men’s Rose Club. Although they were small in number, their enthusiasm and avid interest in roses played a major
role in making new inroads in amateur gardening. Since one of these “Founding Fathers”, Arthur F. Truex, a Tulsan,
had served as President of the American Rose Society back in 1942, it was only natural that the techniques of growing beautiful
roses would become a point of high interest in Tulsa.
1969, the name of the club was changed to the Tulsa Rose Society, at which time women were admitted.
As you would guess, many improvements were made over the years with the development
of new horticulture methods, the introduction of new roses and the members sharing of rose growing experiences, through the
Consulting Rosarian Program, seminars and mid-winter workshops. In addition, a significant change in the association occurred
with the Tulsa Rose Society when a charter was issued by the American Rose Society.
Forty two presidents have presided over the Tulsa Rose Society since 1945. In 1998, Norma Hedrick was
the first woman to be elected president of the Society.
October 2004, the Tulsa Rose Society, assisted by the Fort Smith, AR and Oklahoma City Societies hosted the American Rose
Society Fall Convention and Show at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in downtown Tulsa. The South Central District Fall show
was held in conjunction with the national show. The event was attended by almost 300 rosarians from many states.
The Tulsa Rose Society now has nine American Rose Society Accredited Judges
and four ARS Accredited Arrangement Judges.
The Tulsa Rose
Society has been fortunate to have leaders that have carried out the objective of the society “To study and encourage
rose culture, to promote interest in and love for the rose and to be affiliated with the American Rose Society.”
During 2007 The Tulsa Rose Society was awarded
the Council Oak Award by the Tulsa Parks Department for our volunteer work.